Home | Contact Us |
SGU Home Photo Gallery Exam Results University History
   

Department of Sociology

Department
 

The department of sociology came into existence in June 1970. The main objective behind establishment of this department was to promote a systematic understanding of the processes of social change and economic development of region consisting of the districts of Surat, Bharuch, Valsad and Dangs. Initially, it was also considered that in course of time the department such as Sociology along with other such social science departments like economics, Public administration and the Research Methodology cell shall ultimately jointly promote an institutional arrangement in the form of school of social change offering teaching and research programmes with interdisciplinary thrust.

Having spent more then three decades of its existence the department of sociology is now well established in terms of teaching and research activities. By now 17 students have obtained Ph.D. degree and 11 students M.Phil. degree in sociology.

Courses Offered

The department of sociology offers post graduate courses leading to following degree in sociology

(a) M.A.
(b) M.Phil.
(c) Ph.D.

At M.A. every year 60 students are admitted on the basis of the merit-list prepared in accordance with the marks obtained at the first degree examination in any of the social science discipline or in languages. The candidates belonging to other University are admitted as per the P.G. admission rules of Veer NarmadVeer Narmad South Gujarat University.

M.A.

The prescribed course for M.A. Degree in Sociology covers eight papers each of 100 marks as per the details hereunder.

M.A. PART I

Following four compulsory papers are offered

Paper-I: Sociological Concepts and Theories
Paper-II: Social Stratification
Paper-III: Planned Development and Social Changes
Paper-IV: Research Methods and Field Techniques in Sociology

M.A. PART II

Following three compulsory papers and one optional paper i.e. paper-VIII

Paper-V: Social Thinkers
Paper-VI: Personality and Social System
Paper-VII: Sociological Tribal India
Paper-VIII:(Optional)
VIII (A) Urban Sociology
OR
VIII (B) Industrial Sociology
OR
VIII (C) DISSERTATION

The courses are offered on year wise basis. The examination patters includes 30 percent Internal marks awarded on the basis of tutorials, seminars, class-room participation and attendance. The annual examination covers remaining 70 percent marks.

The minimum passing marks are 40 percent in internal and annual examination respectively. The candidate must secure 40 percent marks in each paper as well as in aggregate.

M.Phil. Programme: (Full-Time (One Year))

The department offers part-time (Two years) M.Phil. programme. The said course is divided into two parts namely (1) content course (2) Dissertation

The content course covers following papers

Paper I: Advanced Sociological Theory
Paper II: Economy and Society in India
Paper III: Research Methodology

Beside above three papers, a candidate is also expected undertake a succinct review of the existing literature on the theme one would choose for writing dissertation.

The admission to M.Phil. programme is done every year through an entrance test consisting of a written examination and personal interview.

Ph.D. Programme :

The department has for recognised Ph.D. supervising teachers in sociology. The candidates desirous of pursuing Ph.D. studies can be enrolled any time during the academic year. The reservation policy and fee-structure is followed as per the University norms for the purpose.

Infrastucture :

The department possesses necessary infrastructure facility including central library.

 

Copyright 1998-2005 InSurat.com, Surat, Gujarat, India.
All Rights Reserved